English team 1983
and the inspiration for MBCC
Sheepdog Handling and Training Clinics
With Vicki Sykes an experienced trainer and accomplished trialist
- Sheepdog handling courses (no more than five in a group)
- One on one sheepdog handling courses - tailored to suit you and your dog
- Clinics - our sheepdog training and handling clinics provide an in depth and unique way of gaining a better of understanding of your dog creating a winning partnership
- Border Collie/working sheepdog assessment courses
- Sheepdogs taken for training
- Our own fully trained sheepdogs available to help you.
Our sheepdog handling courses and training clinics are designed for the absolute beginner, to novice, through to trial standard. Our training is adapted to suit all individual needs and will teach you how to handle and train a working dog using body language and natural communication. Trained sheepdogs are available for those without their own dog, or to give confidence to novice sheepdog handlers. Whether you would like to continue with previous training or introduce your dog to sheep, we offer kind, patient and experienced tuition.
Vicki Sykes is an accomplished and trialist and has spent years training, living and working with collies, educating and guiding their natural instincts. While recognising their humour and character she provides an individual and unique way of training, enabling a better understanding of the working mind of one of the world’s most intelligent dogs.
- Both Theory and practical hands on work with sheep and dog
- Working with trained sheepdogs who can give you confidence and aid in your learning
- Learning how to read and communicate through body language, which will help you understand your dog
- You will learn more about your dog and its individual nature which will aid both in your training and everyday life with your dog.
- Taking you through the training stages from pen work to the open field. How to teach your dog to stop, flank left and right, gather and drive.
Groups Sheepdog Handling courses
A day Sheepdog Handling course runs from 10.30am to approx 4pm (with a break for lunch) depending on numbers. For an additional cost participants may bring more than one dog. If you do not have a dog to bring with you or it is too young for training, our team of fully trained dogs are here for you to use during your handling course.
One on one Sheepdog Handling courses
Working in a group can have an advantage as you are able to see different dogs and learn from each other, however not everyone is comfortable in a group therefore one on one individual tuition is available on request.
Sheepdog training clinic
One and two day clinics are set on selected dates throughout the year providing people with a better understanding of their dog and their working partnership as a whole.
Working from the basic of training upto trialing standard or full time work. You will gain a closer understanding of your dog. Learning not only what you require of him to work in a specific field, but also what he requires from you to achieve this standard.
You will gain a better way for you and your dog to work together as a team and get the results you are looking for.
Border Collie/working sheepdog Clinics:
- Sheepdog assessment courses for companion Border Collies.
- Dealing with specific problems with your dog both in and out of the sheep field.
- Learn more about the breed as a whole
Vicki also takes dogs in for training for a period of approximately 6 weeks in which time they will acquire all the skills needed to move into a work situation.